Spring will be here before we know it! And in anticipation, RJS Craft Winemaking are pairing 3 fresh salads with some of our exceptional En Primeur Winery Series wines for a delightful wake up to warmer weather! Enjoy these delicious recipes and pairings – cheers!
Salad 1: Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Seeds
Nothing brings out the tasting notes of our En Primeur South Africa Sauvignon Blanc better than fresh spring greens, goat cheese, beets and pumpkin seeds! Yum!
1 ½ pounds bulk beets
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dijon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1 head Bibb lettuce, washed and dried
4 ounces goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash beets and place them in an ovenproof dish. Add one inch of water to the bottom of the dish and cover.
- Roast until the beets are slightly soft to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Cut beets into bite-size chunks and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, dijon, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Pour dressing over the beets and stir in the pumpkin seeds.
- Roughly chop the Bibb lettuce and divide among six small plates.
- Top each plate with the roasted beet mixture (be sure to spoon up the extra dressing at the bottom of the bowl) and then crumble the goat cheese on top.
- If a crunchier texture is preferred, consider adding roughly chopped walnuts on top.
Salad 2: Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche
Enjoy a light but delicious shrimp ceviche with our En Primeur Italy Pinot Grigio. The light citrus flavour of the wine will pair perfectly with the sweetness of the shrimp!
2 pounds medium shrimp
1/4 cup (about 3 limes total) freshly squeezed lime juice
6 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
2 to 4 Serrano chiles, finely chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
2 large ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons salt
- Fill a large pot with 1 quart water. Cut 4 limes in half, and squeeze their juice into pot; add lime halves. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat; let mixture steep about 10 minutes. Return to a boil.
- Add shrimp to pot. As soon as water returns to a rolling boil, pour shrimp mixture into a colander; discard cooking liquid and limes. Return shrimp to pot; cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a baking sheet and spread them out; let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Peel and devein shrimp, and cut into thirds. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in 1/4 cup lime juice and the scallions, chiles, vinegar, thyme, and oregano. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, stir avocados, cilantro, and salt into shrimp mixture. Serve with tortilla chips.
Salad 3: Caesar Salad
Our En Primeur Chile Chardonnay pairs best with creamy dressings, and who doesn’t love a delicious Caesar salad?!
1 head romaine lettuce
2 cups (500 mL) croutons
1/4 cup (50 mL) grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
2 tbsp (25 mL) grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) dijon mustard
2 tsp (10 mL) anchovy paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
1/2 tsp (2 mL) worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp (50 mL) light mayonnaise
In bowl, whisk together oil, cheese, vinegar, mustard, anchovy paste, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in mayonnaise until smooth. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces to make about 20 cups (5 L); place in large bowl. Add dressing, croutons and cheese; toss to combine